Thursday, March 23, 2017

Video Interview: Marta

Link to video:
https://vimeo.com/209808586

I put a lot of thought into the lighting setup. I know Marta, at least well from my time in the journalism school. She’s kind, spiritual, caring. I wanted to include a gradient for the background that would add some visual variety including a single light from the right to illuminate Marta with the fill light being off to the left. I wanted there to be balance in the shot and I feel that I achieved that. In terms of making sure that the video and audio was in sync also was a process. I wanted to make sure that I had different angels with different focal lengths so I chose to do my close-up at 135mm and my wide shot at about 80mm. I felt that the video was balanced and the pacing was good.
In terms of questions I started off by asking her if there was one piece of advice that she wishes she would have had when she first started college. She told me how she had a big shocker at the beginning of college and that she wasn’t as good at some things as she originally thought. I had the same experience so we just got to talking and it was easy to make it a conversation at that point.
Looking back on the video itself, I wish that I would have been able to keep a better eye on both cameras because one of my shots was a little out of focus, I think this occurred after I set a focus point and then Marta moved.
The audio was tedious but manageable overall. Audio is just a weakness of mine that I have steadily been improving on over the last couple of semesters.

I wish that I had somebody else to help me out because I was not able to keep track of the secondary frame and that really hindered my video, the framing and the focus was off. Not sure how I could have fixed that by myself while talking to the interviewee. Having another hand would help next time doing this just so that somebody can keep track of the focus that things of that nature. Thinking ahead next time I can fix this problem. It just requires that much attention to detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment