Thursday, March 9, 2017

Glass Heart


According to a recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Missouri is considered one of the worst cardiovascular health states in the nation. Every year, heart disease accounts for around 15,000 deaths in Missouri, the leading factors being high blood pressure, obesity and smoking.


Lighting glass is difficult.

After receiving feed back from my peers, I have quite a few ideas that I would incorporate back into this project to improve it. First off, the shape of the heart is misleading, it doesn't suggest heart disease---but most associate it with cupid and the symbol of love. This is an accurate reading, I mean what else does it really look like?

While the lighting of the glass is decent, some of the features of the item are lost because of the bright background. This can be fixed by using a black background in the future. Not only will that help the features of the glass come out more, but the fire will be more defined as well, helping the effect of the fire. One complication that my partner and I had while taking this photo was the placement of the rubber cement that was used to line the edges of the glass heart that would later be ignited. We found that the placement would need to be more precise and it will just take time to figure out that sweet spot--if there even is one. ALSO, the blue glass fixtures on the inside of the heart are not consistent at all with the ideas of a heart, red and white fixtures (to represent red and white blood cells??) would be better. 

I can envision how the changes would make the photo stronger, all I need to do is play with some different pieces and I can improve this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment